This visa lets you visit Australia:

  • to visit or for business visitor purposes
  • as many times as you want, for up to a year
  • and stay up to three months for each visit.​

If eligible to apply for online applications, you will need to pay a service fee of AUD20.​​


You might be able to get an Electronic Travel Authority if you are:

  • outside Australia
  • a passport holder of a certain country.

What an Electronic Authority Lets You  Do:

Your ETA lets you enter Australia for up to three months at a time as a tourist or for business visitor purposes. You are also permitted to study in Australia for up to 3 months in some circumstances.

Business visitor activities include:

making general business or employment enquiries
investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.
If you want to stay longer in Australia, you should apply another type of visa, such as a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

Before You Apply:

If you are granted an ETA, any other visa that you hold could be affected.

Current ETA holders

The Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) has replaced:

Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) (subclass 976)
Electronic Travel Authority (Business Entrant—Short Validity) (subclass 977)
Electronic Travel Authority (Business Entrant—Long Validity) (subclass 956).
If you hold one of these ETAs, it will still be valid until the date you were given when it was granted.

If you are granted a new ETA, the earlier ETA will end and the new ETA will be valid as soon as it is granted.

Current holders of Working Holiday Maker visas

Working Holiday (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas, which are known as Working Holiday Maker visas, can only be used once. If you are granted an ETA while you hold a Working Holiday Maker visa, you will hold both visas. When you enter Australia, you will automatically enter on your Working Holiday Maker visa and you will not be able to apply for another Working Holiday Maker visa.

To avoid accidentally using your Working Holiday Maker visa, you should:

ask us to cancel your Working Holiday Maker visa (you can apply for another one later)
apply for an ETA after you have confirmation that your Working Holiday Maker visa has been cancelled.
To have your Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa cancelled, contact us by using the:

Working Holiday Maker application enquiry form
To have your Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa cancelled, contact the immigration office outside Australia where your visa was processed. If you are applying as a US citizen, you can use the Working Holiday Maker application enquiry form.

Current holders of other visas

If you hold a Special Purpose visa or a Maritime Crew visa when you are granted an ETA, you will enter Australia on the ETA, but your visa will still be valid.

If you already hold any other substantive visa when you are granted an ETA:

if the other visa is still valid when you next enter Australia, you will enter on that visa, not the new ETA
if you enter and stay in Australia on the other visa for longer than three months, the ETA will end three months from the date that you entered Australia.
Your passport

If you plan to get a new passport you should do so before applying for your ETA. Your ETA is linked to the passport number you use in your application and you must use the same passport to travel to Australia.