This visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis:

  • in relation to a bilateral agreement (Government Agreement stream)
  • to represent a foreign government or to teach a foreign language in an Australian school (Foreign Government Agency stream)
  • to do domestic work for a diplomat (Domestic Worker stream)
  • as a person with statutory privileges and immunities (Privileges and Immunities stream).\


You might be able to get this visa if:

  • you meet the requirements for one of the streams within this visa.

About this Visa:

The Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) allows you to come to Australia under one of four streams:

  • Government Agreement stream: to come to Australia under the terms and conditions of a bilateral agreement between the Australian Government or an Australian state or territory government and the government of another country
  • Foreign Government Agency stream: for a representative of a foreign government who will not be given official status in Australia by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), or a person who is to be employed as a foreign language teacher by a foreign government in an Australian school
  • Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular) stream: to do domestic work in the household of someone who holds a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995)
  • Privileges and Immunities stream: for a person with privileges and immunities under the International Organisations (Privileges and Immunities) Act 1963 or the Overseas Missions (Privileges and Immunities) Act 1995.

This is a temporary visa.

Applying in Australia: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted.

Applying outside Australia: If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when your visa is granted.

This visa allows you to:

  • enter Australia temporarily
  • do the work or activity specified in your visa application
  • enter and leave Australia while your visa is valid.

Before You Apply:

This visa is not for representatives of foreign governments or foreign government agencies who are accredited by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), such as diplomats, United Nations agency executives and consular officials.

The following visas are now closed to new applications:

Government Agreement visa (subclass 406)
Foreign Government Agency visa (subclass 415)
Domestic Worker—Diplomatic or Consular visa (subclass 426)
Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456) — Privileges and Immunities stream

The privileges and immunities stream of the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) is also closed to new applications.

If you have been granted a Government Agreement visa (subclass 406) or a Foreign Government Agency visa (subclass 415), a member of your family unit can apply for a Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403). If you already hold one of these visas, it will still be valid until the expiry date you were given when it was granted.

Your passport

If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. In most cases, you and your family members must have valid passports to be granted this visa.

Holiday Packages

Book your Tickets Here