This visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:

  • work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement (the Exchange stream)
  • participate in high-level sports competitions (the Sport stream)
  • do full-time religious work (the Religious Worker stream)
  • do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives (the Domestic Worker (Executive) stream).


You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are sponsored by an approved sponsor
  • are nominated to undertake an approved activity
  • have the skills and experience relevant to the nominated activity.

About this Visa:

The Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis under one of the four streams:

  • Exchange stream: to work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:
    • give participants an opportunity to experience another culture
    • enhance international relations
    • broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.
  • Sport stream: to improve the quality of sport in Australia through participation in high-level competition with Australian residents to:
    • participate in a specific event or series of events as an individual or as part of a team or its support staff
    • play, coach or instruct for a sporting club for a season under contract
    • judge or adjudicate a sporting competition or show.
  • Religious Worker stream: to be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.
  • Domestic Worker (Executive) stream: to work full time in the household of certain senior foreign executives.

This visa involves a three stage process:

  • Sponsorship – an organisation, government agency or foreign government agency applies to become a long-stay activity sponsor
  • Nomination – the long-stay activity sponsor nominates you to undertake an activity
  • Visa – you apply for a Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401).

This is a temporary visa. You can be in or outside Australian when you apply for this visa:

Applying in Australia: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted.

Applying outside Australia: If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when your visa is granted.

What this Visa Lets You Do:

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for the period of the nominated position, with a maximum stay of two years
  • do the work or activity specified in your nomination
  • bring eligible family members with you to Australia
  • enter and leave Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid.

Before You Apply:

Before you can apply for this visa:

  • an organisation or agency must apply to become an approved sponsor (see the ‘Sponsors’ tab for more information about how an organisation can do this)
  • the sponsor must apply to nominate you for a particular position (see the ‘Nominate’ tab for an explanation of how to nominate a visa applicant).

Your passport

If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. In most cases, you and your family members must have valid passports to be granted this visa.