This visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:
- work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement (the Exchange stream)
- participate in high-level sports competitions (the Sport stream)
- do full-time religious work (the Religious Worker stream)
- do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives (the Domestic Worker (Executive) stream).
You might be able to get this visa if you:
- are sponsored by an approved sponsor
- are nominated to undertake an approved activity
- have the skills and experience relevant to the nominated activity.
About this Visa:
The Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis under one of the four streams:
- Exchange stream: to work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:
- give participants an opportunity to experience another culture
- enhance international relations
- broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.
- Sport stream: to improve the quality of sport in Australia through participation in high-level competition with Australian residents to:
- participate in a specific event or series of events as an individual or as part of a team or its support staff
- play, coach or instruct for a sporting club for a season under contract
- judge or adjudicate a sporting competition or show.
- Religious Worker stream: to be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.
- Domestic Worker (Executive) stream: to work full time in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
This visa involves a three stage process:
- Sponsorship – an organisation, government agency or foreign government agency applies to become a long-stay activity sponsor
- Nomination – the long-stay activity sponsor nominates you to undertake an activity
- Visa – you apply for a Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401).
This is a temporary visa. You can be in or outside Australian when you apply for this visa:
Applying in Australia: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted.
Applying outside Australia: If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when your visa is granted.
What this Visa Lets You Do:
This visa allows you to:
- stay in Australia for the period of the nominated position, with a maximum stay of two years
- do the work or activity specified in your nomination
- bring eligible family members with you to Australia
- enter and leave Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid.
Before You Apply:
Before you can apply for this visa:
- an organisation or agency must apply to become an approved sponsor (see the ‘Sponsors’ tab for more information about how an organisation can do this)
- the sponsor must apply to nominate you for a particular position (see the ‘Nominate’ tab for an explanation of how to nominate a visa applicant).
If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. In most cases, you and your family members must have valid passports to be granted this visa.