This is a permanent visa for people who have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia.


You might be able to get this visa if:

  • you have lived for at least two years in a specified regional area of Australia
  • you have worked full time for 12 months in a specified regional area of Australia
  • you hold a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489), a Skilled Regional visa (subclasses 475, 487), a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 495), or a Skilled Designated Area visa (subclass 496)
  • you hold a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B after applying for a subclass 495, 487 or 489 visa.​

About this visa:

The Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887) is for people who have an eligible visa and have lived for at least two years and worked for at least one year in a specified regional area. You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when the visa is granted.

What this visa Lets You Do:

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Before Apply:

Have you told us about a newborn baby or other changes to your circumstances?

Tell us if your circumstances change while you are in Australia. In particular, if you have a baby while you are in Australia, you need to tell us so we can add the child to our records. The child will be given the same visa as you, but they will not appear in e-visa until you tell us about the child.

You can tell us about your child, or any other change in circumstances, using:

undefined document entitled: ‘Form 1022’Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances (77 kB PDF).
Your passport

You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of our offices.

You might be able to update your passport details using ImmiAccount.